Orthodontics—sometimes referred to as “ortho”—is a unique branch of dentistry that involves a series of treatments designed to correct teeth that are misaligned or have an improper bite. Orthodontics also involves the treatment and correction of misaligned jaws.
Reasons for Orthodontic Treatment
There are many reasons dentists recommended that their patients receive orthodontic treatment, including:
- Malocclusion (bad bite) – If you are suffering from a bad bite, you may experience jaw pain whenever you eat. This is because when you bite down, your top and bottom teeth do not align with each other correctly, which causes strain in the jaw. Orthodontic treatment such as braces or wearing headgear can help correct this, and significantly reduce your discomfort with eating or speaking.
- Oral Hygiene – If your teeth are misaligned, it is actually harder for your toothbrush and floss to clean, especially areas that may be blocked by intrusive crowding teeth. This can increase your chances of tooth decay and even gum disease.
- Other Esthetic Reasons – Finally, if you feel like you’re overall unhappy with your current smile, your dentist may recommend that you look into orthodontic treatment. Ortho can help correct teeth that are protruding, crowding or have gaps in addition to misalignment, resulting in a perfectly straightened smile!
Types of Orthodontic Treatment
Orthodontists use a variety of dental tools and appliances to help you restore your teeth to a more aligned position to repair these common dental problems including:
- Traditional metal braces
- Ceramic (tooth-colored) braces
- Lingual braces
- Clear aligners (Invisalign)
Orthodontics is a great form of dental treatment for patients of all ages; although braces are commonly associated with children and teenagers, there are now plenty of orthodontic solutions such as Invisalign and ceramic braces that allow many adults to reap the benefits of orthodontic treatment in a more discrete way. If you’re interested in orthodontic treatment, book a free consultation with our office today, and become one step closer to a healthier, beautiful smile!